Department Policies and Procedures


University Policies

Complimentary Ticket Policy

All department members are entitled to one complimentary ticket for the performance run (not one for each night). This applies to all choreographers and dancers, faculty, grads and undergrads. Choreographers will not receive additional complimentary tickets. If you are on the Comp List, show up early to the performance and the box office assistants will check off your name. Everyone must present their Buck ID to be checked off the list. There are no seat or ticket reservations. All tickets are sold at the door. Columbus State Vouchers for student performances will be accepted. Have your guests arrive as close to when the box office opens (approximately forty minutes before the start of a department performance) in order to avoid possible ticket sell-out. NOTE: It is understood that faculty may need to see a student performances more than once if they are on a student’s project committee or their advisor. Those faculty names will just be checked off more than once on the Comp List, as needed, for student concerts.

Top of page

Purchase Request Process

FY12 Purchasing Process [pdf]
FY12 Payment Options Spreadsheet [pdf]

 All university purchases need pre-approval by the Chair, even if reimbursement will be needed. If you need to purchase something on behalf of the department, fill out an online purchase request through eRequest. Within this university system, payment initiators are emailed when the request has been approved by the department Administrative Manager and Chair. When the eRequest is approved, the payment initiator must check any comments in the eRequest to see if assistance is needed with the purchasing action. Please allow at least 48 business-day hours for purchase approval turnaround. For "small dollar purchases" under $999.99, a departmental credit card may be issued to you. For larger purchases over $1000, a university Vendor Number set-up process, Accounting Requisition and Purchase Order process is required.

Top of page

Leave Request Process

All university off-campus business leave, sick leave, and vacation leave must be pre-approved by the Chair. This process is done via the eLeave system. Employees can request past or future sick leave use. Staff can also request vacation leave time. The system emails employees with the status of their request; approved or not by the Chair. If the leave is approved, employees must check any Comments in the eLeave to see if more information is needed. Please allow 48 business day hours turn-a-round time for review by the Chair. For problems logging on, please contact BSC HR Manager, Holly Burkhard, at (614) 247-4729.

Please remember the following:

  • Faculty, lecturers, and GAs do not accrue vacation time, only sick leave, since they are not on-duty during break weeks or summer term. For sick leave requests, keep checked Neither as the Leave Type and select Sick Leave and the Reason from the drop down lists.
  • The Family and Medical Leave (FML) is the federal leave for extended health leave for self, births, deaths, and requires documentation – not for requesting sick leave hours.
  • All off-campus research or travel time for conferences, research trips, board meetings, must be requested via the University Business link in the top menu bar of eLeave. You may not make reservations or give any confirmations of participation until the Chair has approved your request. Instructors cannot miss more than ten school days of work a semester, per OSU Academic Affairs faculty policy.  
  • Write the request as if explaining to a university auditor:
  1. Departure, return, and event dates
  2. Specific event title and place
  3. Detailed university purpose for the trip
  4. Any related conference, trip, airfare itinerary plan details – upload related emails, documents, or event detail docs
  5. Who will be your substitute teacher, and what will your classes be doing, plus what committee or student meetings will you be missing? The department is liable for all instructors teaching to students in their classes. The Chair has to know at all times who is in charge of and teaching all department classes. 
  • For all instructors, when your University Business Leave has been approved, you are responsible for both finding a substitute teacher and paying that person. The department will pay for a substitute teacher only if the department is sending you somewhere related to the curriculum. For further questions, see the Administrative Manager or Chair.
  • For more information on HR paid leave programs, please refer to the Paid/Unpaid Time Off page on the HR website.
  • For all instructors – Office of Academic Affairs (OAA) Operational Policies and Procedures handbook, Volume 1, Chapter 2 Unit Administration, as of 8/10/11, Page 44, sections to Teaching, Research and Scholarship, Service, and other instruction requirements, then page 49, section Teaching Workload, last paragraph: 
    "During on-duty quarters faculty members are expected to be accountable for interaction with students, service assignments, and other responsibilities even if they have no formal course assignment that quarter. In accordance with Faculty Rule 3335-5-08, on-duty faculty members who need to be away from campus to conduct research or other university business may do so with permission of their chair, dean, and OAA through an approved leave of absence form. [now email request and approval] Absences of more than ten days require approval by OAA."

What do I do if I am sick?

  1. Call the Reception Office at 292-7977– 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
    All employees must first call the Reception Desk when they are sick. Do not send an email to the administrative staff, as they don't get to email first-thing each morning. The Reception Office notifies the Chair's office and related faculty/staff as soon as possible when an employee is out sick. Employees can then follow-up with others via email. If employees leave the names of people who will need to know that they are out, the office staff will make sure to let them know.
    Sick leave details and reasons are private. No note needs to be submitted unless the supervisor or Chair request it. It is not necessary for employees to give details as to why they are out sick, except to say that they are not feeling well. All that can be asked for by an employer is a doctor's note upon the employee's return to the office. Details, if the employee volunteers them, should also remain private and not be publicly discussed or emailed around the department or to students to retain privacy for the employee. 
  1. Email other department staff or faculty that need to know. Email your students, or fellow faculty or advisees you were planning on meeting. Please copy the Administrative Manager and Chair to back-up the eLeave request that will be submitted when the employee returns to the office. For GAs teaching studio classes, it is their responsibility to call another dance grad student to sub. That sub's name and sick leave info should go on the GA Leave Form or eLeave request.
    Instructors are not allowed to cancel classes. If a GA cannot find a sub or if a faculty, lecturer, or teaching staff person cannot have their class it is up to the Chair's Office to approve the class cancellation. See the department policy for canceling classes.
    Since dance major classes are hard for finding matching skill subs, most of the time the classes are cancelled and the instructor emails the students with other work tasks or make-up class/class-work arrangements. For dance major technique classes, students from the sick teacher's class get dispersed into the other technique classes. Students are still required to take technique class if their instructor is out sick. Accompanists and other related staff and instructors are notified as soon as possible from the Reception Office or Chair's Office when a technique teacher or accompanist is out sick. 
  1. Fill out an eLeave request. Sick leave time, GA class subs, other class arrangement details should be filled out in the eLeave request when an employee returns to the office. 

 If you have any questions regarding your department or university employment and leave programs, you can refer to the Office of Human Resources at 292-1050 or visit the HR department website, the Benefits section. GAs may also contact the Graduate School at 292-6031. More contact info is available on the Grad School website.  

Top of page

Supplemental Compensation 

In order to complete the HR process for getting your Supplemental Compensation/Additional Pay added to your upcoming paycheck(s), the department of Dance is required to do the following College of Arts and Sciences' Business Services Center (BSC) and university HR process.

  1. Department HR manager completes the form. Department Chair signs approval.
  2. HR manager gives the form to the employee. Employee signs approval.
  3. Employee gives it to their supervisor or Department Chair/director for final approval.
  4. Employee returns form to requesting department's HR manager. Employee's role is complete.
  5. Department HR manager fills out the BSC's Supplemental Compensation Form.
  6. Department HR manager uploads it to the BSC with required signatures and any related service details documents or emails.
  7. College BSC goes through its HR approval process for Supplemental Compensation to an employee's HR record
  8. A BSC HR associate enters the action into the HR system in the employee's job record.
  9. Additional pay shows up on the employee's paychecks, as stated on the Supplemental Compensation Form.

Additional pay is added to an employee's paycheck by the requesting department, not one's employing department. For specific questions regarding a Supplemental Compensation Form you completed, contact the HR Manager in the department that requested your additional work.

Per university HR policy, employees must have department Chair approval for performing work and receiving additional university pay beyond their full-time job (anyone 75-100% FTE). Additional work may affect someone's full-time job performance. Chair approval must take place at the beginning of the request for additional work through the university's Supplemental Compensation Approval Form. The department Chair has the authority to approve or deny additional work being asked by a department employee by another department. Curricular maintenance of the employee's employing unit takes precedence over another department's request for additional work.

OSU HR website links regarding additional pay:

Policy 3.35 [pdf]: Supplemental Compensation Involving Work Within the University
Internal Supplemental Compensation Approval Form [pdf]

Top of page

Workloads, Full-Time Equivalency and Course Schedules

The Chair makes final schedule decisions and faculty, lecturer, and graduate associate workload assignments according to feedback requested from faculty and staff. The Executive Committee shares the responsibility to maintain the department’s curricular goals. Course schedules are set six months to one year before a semester begins. Adjustments may be made 3-4 weeks before a semester begins. If you have any questions on your workload at any time, please contact the Chair or the GA Supervisor.

For GAs, the department’s Graduate Studies Committee weighs in GA workloads. GAs and all faculty and GA supervisors will receive the department Graduate Associate Workloads document a few weeks before the beginning of each semester detailing all GA assignments and supervisors. The document will come from the department HR Professional or the Faculty GA Supervisor.

Full-Time Equivalency (FTE) is determined by the Chair in relation to the teaching load and course preparation time for each instructor. Contact the department Chair directly in you have any questions regarding FTE. All university full-time faculty and staff are at 100% FTE. Lecturers and part-time staff can be at various ranges of FTE. GAs are considered full-time at 50% FTE. Half-time GAs are at 25% FTE. The other 50% time for full-time GAs is for the classes they have to take as part of their graduate program course load.

Top of page

General Teaching Requirements

  1. Follows the university student communication requirement and FERPA requirement of ONLY discussing student issues with students or other university personnel through their university email address.
  2. Meets class on time and teaches for entire class meeting time. No instructor is authorized to cancel classes or end a class early without prior approval from the department Chair.
  3. Regularly checks class rosters online in compliance with FERPA rules and the university's Policy on Institutional Data.
  4. Takes and keeps track of attendance.
  5. Is available for meetings with students who may have questions about the class material.
  6. Handles or arranges any technical aspects of the class – viewing media, cueing sound, etc.
  7. Prepares syllabi for class, and distributes to class at the first class meeting time. The Chair, the Teaching Associate (TA) supervisor, or the department academic advisor can provide guidance if needed.
  8. Creates midterm and final material. Grades performance review papers as indicated in syllabi.
  9. Grades midterm and final, submits grades online.
  10. Prepares viewings of dance material as indicated in syllabi.
  11. Prepares and demonstrates dance/class material. Class prep-time is included in the number of hours you work a week and into your salary. 
  12. Follows the faculty guidelines as outlined in the OAA Policies and Procedures Handbook or for TAs as outlined in the Graduate School Handbook.
  13. If cannot meet class due to illness, arranges a substitute teacher and informs the Reception Office. 

Faculty and lecturers that need a substitute for a class to attend a conference, accept a gig, attend a family event, or ask for any other time away from their class must have prior Chair approval. TAs must have the TA Supervisor, the Graduate Studies Committee Chair approval, and Chair approval. All leave must have prior approval before making any personal plans or travel arrangements.

Top of page

Grades, Gradebooks, Class Rosters and Course Outlines

The Department's Administrative Office can provide you with grade books, information on accessing your class roster, assistance with entering grades online, and examples of course outlines for you to model your class. The Academic Program Coordinator can provide assistance to faculty, teaching staff, and lecturers with the university’s online grading system at the end of each semester.

Top of page

Student Privacy and Homework Pick-up

Per FERPA policy on the privacy of student information, students are, by law, not allowed to view another’s grades without their permission. You may not leave homework assignments for pick-up in a communal area or in your office mailbox.

There is a designated homework pick-up area in the Department's reception office where students can request an office worker to retrieve their homework assignment. Assignments will be kept thoughout the current semester. If an assignment falls at the very end of a semester, the students will have until the end of the following semester to pick them up. At the end of Spring semester, assignments will be kept until the end of Autumn semester. After these deadlines, assignments will be discarded.

Also, there are trays for general pick-up in the Reception Office. Personal items (CDs, watches, pins,etc.) can be viewed by anyone. Anyone is free to leave or pick-up an item from the trays.

Top of page

Phones, Computers and Equipment

Incoming and Outgoing Local Calls

General office area phones are only capable of making local and campus calls. To make a local call, must dial a 9 to get off-campus first. All campus phone extensions are 5 digits. For example if a phone number is 292-7977, from anywhere else on campus you can just dial 2-7977. Faculty members and regular staff have their own phone lines and may make business related long distance calls. Graduate Associates are not permitted to make long distance calls unless authorized by their supervisor.

If students need to contact you, please ask them to email you or leave a written message in your office mailbox. Do not tell the students to call if they cannot attend class. If there is an emergency and students cannot attend class, they may contact you directly or explain at the next class meeting time. It is your responsibility to inform your students of this each semester and follow through with the procedures.

Personal calls should be limited on department phones. No long distance personal calls should be made. The phone bill is reviewed monthly for departmental usage patterns.

MediaLab and Equipment Usage

The department maintains a MAC based Medialab that is available to all students, faculty and staff. Equipment and accessories are also available for checkout from the Program Coordinator (Media). Equipment is to be used only for Department projects, documentation and curriculum. The chairperson must authorize all other lab use and all special needs equipment use. You will be asked to sign out equipment, and you are liable for all equipment while it is in your possession. Equipment will be checked for all parts and functionality before and after each use.

Copiers, Fax and Printing

Use of departmental fax, copiers, and printers must be limited to university business only. The semester limit for copying is 1,000 copies. After that you will be billed for 5¢ per copy. For personal issues that arise (for faxing), please ask for permission.  

The copier and color printer (with paper, toner, and related items) is constantly monitored. All employees must refrain from non-work, non-teaching, and non-department class related printing. Monthly reports are printed related to the number of sheets printed per employee, including after-hours.

GAs are reminded at the beginning of Autumn Semester employment meeting with the department HR manager that only printing related to their GA jobs should be done on the department equipment in the Copy Room. All of their printing for classes in which they are enrolled needs to be done via the MediaLab printer with the students bringing in their own paper. Employees cannot bring in their papers and enrolled course materials from the copier or color printer because the number of copies is monitored by our vendor, and the department is charged per sheet for overage in our printing limits. This policy is in effect for faculty and staff taking other university courses as well. 

For faculty and staff, please do not print out personal emails or photos from the color printer or copier for the same printing limit charge reason above. The black and white university line for business purposes is, “is it related to my job?” If it’s not, print it somewhere else.

Once you have graduated and are no longer paying college tech fees, you cannot use the Medialab computers or equipment and you cannot copy concert tapes. You also cannot ask the department staff to do this for you, either now or at a later date. It is each student's responsibility to get the performance data they will need in the future. (All the other departments in the college follow this same practice for student data.) Please note that due to certain intellectual property laws and department contracts, some department guest artist choreography cannot be copied.

Top of page

Key Policy

The Department Facilities Coordinator is also the key manager. All faculty, staff, and graduate students have keys to their offices. Other keys are issued depending on the nature of the need. Those provided keys are responsible for the security of equipment and facilities. Keys are not to be loaned to anyone. Keys should be returned to the office key manager as soon as the pertinent need is over. University policy does not allow the duplication of departmental keys. If keys are stolen or lost, notify the Department Facilities Coordinator immediately. All employees are required to sign a Key Policy Form acknowledging financial responsibility for any lost keys. For production staff, this fine will include the cost of replacing locks.

Top of page

Space and Facilities

Office space

Faculty and staff are provided with a desk, chair, mailbox, office phone, and filing space if needed. Please see the Department Facilities Coordinator for any general office supplies you require for your job duties. Any other office supplies should be requested and approved by the chair via eRequest.


The Chair (with the Executive Committee) creates the department schedules. The Department Facilities Coordinator inputs the department schedule into the Registrar and the Department's space calendars and can respond to relevant inquiries. For any departmental space use, please see our Facilities page and fill out the Studio Request Form, which contains the Studio Reservation Policy.

Top of page

No Smoking Policy

Smoking is not permitted in any university buildings – including restrooms. Please go outside the building to smoke if needed. State law requires 50 feet clearance from the building and air vents. There are cigarette trays for disposal at proper distances away from the building. Please help us keep our facilities and building clean.  

Top of page

Census Date and Enrollment

Department funding from the college and university is dependent on the number of students enrolled and university fees paid on the university Census Date. This date is approximately 15 calendar days into the current semester. The Chairperson of the department must authorize students to be added to a class beyond the Census Date. This policy differs from the university standard that allows students enroll in classes after the Census Date. As of 5pm the evening before the Census Date, students may still add department classes with Chairperson approval. On the Census Date no more students will be added to classes. If a student taking your class is not enrolled, you must instruct them to stop attending the class. Students cannot take a class then retroactively sign up for credit. They must sign up for credit and pay fees in the quarter in which they are taking the class.

Top of page

No Audit Policy and Process

The department does not allow the auditing of movement practice classes. All graduate students who wish to enroll in movement practice class for a) graduate credit under a faculty mentor when the class is taught by another graduate student, or b) variable attendance days/times, must complete and submit the respective Alternative/Movement Practice Plan on the Handbooks, Forms and Reference page.

Top of page

Drop-in Policy

Alumni and community guests can drop in to any dance studio class on the schedule. Lecture, GEC, and other composition, theory, or technology classes are excluded. Alumni and guests must request approval from the department Chair by calling (614) 292-0984 or emailing The alumni or guest must have an approval letter from the Chair before going into the desired class.

Class participation and drop-in is at the instructor’s discretion. If the instructor does not allow the alumni or guest to take the class, the person must find another class. It is understood by the attendee that by dropping into a class, movement phrases may have already been taught. The students paying for the class get priority for teacher attention and class comments. Alumni and guests are to dance on the periphery of the class. If the alumni or approved guest plan to drop-in to a class more than four times in a given quarter, they must register for the class via the Registrar’s Office, OSU Continuing Education, or the Graduate School. 

During the academic year, “community guests” means dancers/artists who are passing through Columbus on tour with a show or event. During summer quarter, “community guest” means adults who may attend Parks and Recreation dance classes, and who may or may not have had any dance training.

Top of page

Canceling, Moving or Changing Classes

All instructors are required to meet their classes at the designated course times and in the assigned class spaces. No instructor is allowed to cancel a class. Canceling a class must be requested in writing by the instructor directly to the Chair with as much advanced notice as possible. Only the Chair of the department is allowed to cancel classes. If the Chair approves a class to be cancelled (for a quarter or certain class meeting times), then the instructor can relate that information and other class arrangements to their students.

If the space for your class is not conducive to learning the class material, please contact the Chair and the Department Facilities Coordinator. The Chair will discuss and either approve or deny the space move. The Facilities Coordinator will relay the space change information to the instructors.If there are problems with the meeting times of your class, please contact the Chair directly. Although course times are set months before a quarter begins, to coincide with the rest of the department curriculum, the Chair needs to know for future course planning purposes. At this time too, the Chair will also be able to discuss any possible current quarter changes or let you know of space and department limitations.

Top of page

Saturday and Sunday Classes

Classes taking place Monday through Friday are considered "regularly scheduled classes" by the University Registrar. Therefore, classes meeting on Saturday or Sunday are not considered to be regularly scheduled classes. While regularly scheduled classes end on Friday of the 10th week of each quarter, Saturday and Sunday classes will meet on the weekend following the last day of regularly scheduled classes. 

Thanksgiving Holiday Week

The university is open for business 8am-5pm and classes are in session at their regular times, even in the evenings, Monday and Tuesday of the Thanksgiving Holiday Week. If students choose to leave town early for holiday travel and are not in class, they will be using their designated absences allowed in each courses’ syllabus. If GAs choose not to work, they must submit a GA Leave Request for Chair approval. If faculty, staff, or lecturers choose not work, they must submit an eLeave request for Chair approval. Do not make plans, book, or pay for anything until the leave has been reviewed and approved. Faculty and lecturers must use sick leave, as their appointments do not accrue vacation leave. Staff must use vacation leave.

Classes and Work on Religious Holy Days

Just like any school or work day that is a holy day for any religion, students must use their available class absences if they wish to take the day off. Staff and faculty must use their available leave time (sick for faculty or vacation for staff) and fill out an eLeave request, per university Human Resources policy. The university does not have a policy for students and faculty leave on holy days.

Graduation Celebration

The graduating students lead the organization of the graduation celebration, so each class gets to make their send-off their own. Historically, the graduating Grad Rep and the Senior Rep on the Student Representatives Committee are the two leads. Classes can choose who the organizers can be, however. Graduating students should gather and organize the order of the celebration, invite at least one faculty person to do a send-off/commencement type speech, and organize food purchases for an informal reception similar to the Informance Reception. The organizers must submit an eRequest to the during the last week of classes. Doing so will allow enough time for purchase review/approval and for the students to arrange food and refreshments. One of the lead organizers should also send a more formal email invitation with some details to the Graduate Program Coordinator to send out to the entire department during the final week of classes. Commencement info can be found here.

Top of page