Monday - Friday, June 5-9, 2023, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
1813 North High Street
Columbus OH, 43210
The Ohio State Dance Summer Intensive is a one-week immersive dance experience. The Ohio State University Department of Dance is offering a daytime non-residential dance intensive for rising high school students who are entering 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grades next autumn. The intensive will include five days of classes in movement practice, repertory and choreography, with additional sessions about dance in college.
Summer Dance Intensive students will:
- take one contemporary and one African movement practice class, one choreography class, and one repertory class each day;
- discover many ways to continue dancing in college;
- connect with current college dance students;
- tour the campus and learn about its many resources;
- prepare a sharing and showing about the intensive on Friday at 4 p.m.
All classes will be taught by current Department of Dance faculty, with six Ohio State Dance majors serving as student leaders.
Summer Dance Intensive Director: Dr. Nyama McCarthy-Brown
All students will be considered, but priority will be given to intermediate and advanced dancers aspiring to study dance in college.
To be eligible for the intensive and program, the student must:
- be able to attend the whole week of the program;
- have an interest in exploring dance or another dance-related career;
- be a rising high school freshmen, sophomore, junior, or senior (entering fall class, recent high school graduates are not eligible);
- have intermediate or advanced dance experience and/or training.
- Online application
- List of training and experience (formal and informal, ie. studio, YWCA, church, street)
- Three to five sentences about why you are interested in attending the dance intensive
- Three to five sentences about how you would bring diversity to the Ohio State Dance community
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher/mentor or a two-minute video of a dance solo
The cost of attending the entire intensive is $300, which includes daily classes and a t-shirt.
Housing and transportation are not provided.
A limited number of need-based scholarships are available. Please complete the financial aid form on the application if you wish to be considered for an award.
Your acceptance to the Ohio State Dance Summer Intensive is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation email from The Ohio State University Department of Dance.
An email will be sent to the email provided by the parent/guardian for information regarding payment of the program fee. If your student is selected to attend the Ohio State Dance Summer Intensive, additional information regarding payment and scholarships will be provided.
If you have been accepted into the intensive, but cannot attend, all cancellations must be submitted in writing. The individual who made the original payment will receive:
- A full refund, less an administrative fee of $50, if cancellation is received in writing by 5 p.m. EST on May 31, 2023.
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request made less than one week prior to the start date of the program.
The Ohio State Dance Summer Intensive will take place: Monday - Friday, June 5-9, 2023, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Application opens: Friday, January 27, 2023
- Deadline to submit application: May 1, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. (EST)
- Admission decision e-mail notifications: May 5, 2023
- Acceptance of Admission Offer Deadline: May 12, 2023
- Intensive Payment due: Friday, May 12, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. (EST)
Summer Dance Intensive Daily Schedule (subject to change):
Please email email@example.com with any questions you may have about the intensive.
The Summer Dance Intensive is co-sponsored by The Ohio State University Department of Dance, Stand Up for Shakespeare, Provost Arts Project, and the Global Arts + Humanities Discovery Theme.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring the use of Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org