Monday – Friday, June 7-11, 2021, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Sullivant Hall *
1813 North High Street
Columbus OH, 43210
The Ohio State University Department of Dance is offering a daytime non-residential dance intensive for rising high school students who are entering 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grades in autumn 2021. The intensive will include five days of classes in movement practice, repertory and choreography, with additional sessions about dance in college.
During the Summer Dance Intensive students will:
- take one contemporary and one African movement practice class, one choreography class, and one repertory class each day;
- discover many ways to continue dancing in college;
- connect with current college dance students;
- tour the campus and learn about its many resources;
- prepare a sharing and showing about the intensive on Friday at 4 p.m.
All classes will be taught by current Department of Dance faculty, with six Ohio State Dance majors serving as student leaders. Faculty include:
All students will be considered, but priority will be given to intermediate and advanced dancers aspiring to study dance in college.
To be eligible for the intensive, the student must:
- be able to attend the whole week of the program;
- have an interest in exploring dance or another dance-related career;
- be a rising high school freshmen, sophomore, junior, or senior (entering fall class, recent high school graduates are not eligible);
- have intermediate or advanced dance experience and/or training.
- Online application
- List of training and experience (formal and informal, ie. studio, YWCA, church, street)
- Three to five sentences about why you are interested in attending the dance intensive
- Three to five sentences sentences about how you would bring diversity to the Ohio State Dance community
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher/mentor or a two-minute video of a dance solo
The cost of attending the intensive is $300. The full week of programming includes daily classes, one lunch and a T-shirt. Housing and transportation are not provided.
A limited number of need-based scholarships are available. Please complete the financial aid form on the application if you wish to be considered for an award.
Your acceptance to the intensive is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation email from The Ohio State University Department of Dance.
An email will be sent to the email provided by the parent/guardian for information regarding payment of the program fee. If your student is selected to attend the Ohio State Summer Dance Intensive, additional information regarding payment and scholarships will be provided.
If you have been accepted into the intensive, but cannot attend, all cancellations must be submitted in writing. The individual who made the original payment will receive:
- A full refund, less an administrative fee of $50, if cancellation is received in writing by 5 p.m. EST on Monday, May 31, 2021.
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request made less than one week prior to the start date of the program.
The intensive will take place: Monday, June 7 – Friday, June 11, 2021, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily.
- Application opens: Friday, February 5, 2021
- Deadline to submit: April 2, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. (EST) - Application is closed and we are unable to accept additional applications.
- Email Notification - decisions: April 16, 2021
- Acceptance of Admission Offer Deadline: May 3, 2021
- Payment due: Friday, May 14, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. (EST)
2021 Daily Schedule (subject to change):
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have about the intensive.
* Should COVID-19 restrictions require, the Summer Intensive could shift to an online platform. Any fully registered student could have the option of taking classes virtually as necessary if they are quarantined.
The Summer Intensive is co-sponsored by The Ohio State University Department of Dance, The Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Undergraduate Admissions, Office of Outreach and Engagement, Department of Athletics and the Global Arts + Humanities and Arts Discovery Theme.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files requiring the use of Adobe Reader. If you need them in a more accessible format, please contact email@example.com